I'll start by saying that my husband and I are polar opposites when it comes to labeling ourselves politically. We started off pretty much alike, both being conservative, and we rarely watched political news programs or even discussed anything political. He's retired military, and continues to label himself a conservative, although he does NOT identify as MAGA, but does believe in "make America great again" as a statement, not as a political group.
Over the years, I have moved further and further left, and I believe the impetus for that change was the fact that my best friend since college is gay, as well as my 30-year-old son, with it being more likely that my son's identity as a gay man was the main driving force to my change.
In 2016, I fell victim to the Trump train, believing that perhaps a businessman would be better to run the country than Hillary Clinton. A businessman that has bankrupted multiple casinos that were his and had many other failed business opportunities. I just couldn't bring myself to vote for Hillary, as I had generally followed the conservative playbook over the years and Trump wasn't as offensive to me then as he is now.
In 2020, I didn't vote for Trump or Biden, but for the Libertarian candidate, Jo Jorgenson. I really liked the Libertarian party platform and still do. I voted for Kamala Harris in 2024, and unfortunately, Trump won. Blech!
No comments:
Post a Comment